Thursday, May 29, 2008

March 15, 1524


Dear diary,

Another day with the natives, today I sent out one of my men to give the natives gifts, as he swam to do so he was caught by a wave and badly hurt. The natives rushed over to help him and they cared for him like he was one of their own. They helped encourage him to not be afraid by acting like him, making cries, and attempting to be friendly. As they brought him back to our ship they marveled at the whiteness of our flesh, as theirs was very tan.
Upon my accomplishment of exploring the Newfoundland, and interacting with the natives, I have now greatly detailed the once thought “detailed” map of the Newfoundland. I am very glad that the waters here are not too rough, much like those in cape horn, these waters are calm and don’t have too many eddies. The danger of this whole experience is not knowing the waters or the lands, providing unsafe conditions and extreme risk of death from sinking or scurvy and other such things.
Upon seeing the coast of the Newfoundland I am contempt with my work, and now it’s time to head back to France and report my findings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home