Thursday, May 29, 2008

June 30, 1524

I cannot take it any more! I have seen all there is to see of the New Land and yet I have still not found a way around it. We have searched the bottom of the New Land for away around it to Asia which had proved unsuccessful. So we sailed north all the way up the shore looking for any strait or real promontory. We have discovered much but we have still not achieved our original goal.
I cannot blame Antione da Conflans, who piloted our ship. He has proved his worth by safely guiding us through many storms and uncharted areas. However I am angry with the maps created on the journeys of Vesconte de Maggiolo and my brother Gerolamo Verrazzano. I have encountered many areas of land not marked on their maps. The maps have proved themselves unreliable. If the lack of useful maps was not bad enough we lost three of our ships in the beginning of the voyage! Now the journey relies entirely on our ship, the Dauphine.
As angry as I am, our journey was not a complete failure. We have discovered and claimed much land and I have created a detailed list of all the native tribes we have encountered. I have made the decision to return back to France. The food supply is running low and with the knowledge gained on this expedition we have benefited all of France.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home